Things to Do When Your Immigration Case is Stuck 

Shape Image One
Things to Do When Your Immigration Case is Stuck 

Things You Can Do When Your Immigration Case Gets Stuck 

If you are an immigrant who has filed for immigration status, it can be extremely frustrating when your case gets stuck in processing. Whether you’re trying to gain entry into the United States, adjust your status, or leave the country, getting stuck can be a nerve-wracking experience. Fortunately, there are a few options available to help you get your case moving again. This article will discuss some of the things you can do when your immigration case gets stuck. 

Check Processing Times 

The first thing to do is to check processing times to make sure your case is outside the expected timeframe. USCIS updates processing times regularly, and it’s essential to be aware of how long cases typically take in your specific situation. If you find that your case is outside the processing time, then it’s time to consider other options. . 

Contact USCIS 

If your immigration case is stuck outside processing times, you should contact USCIS to inquire about the status of your case. When you contact USCIS, provide as much information as possible, such as your immigration case number and filing date.  

The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) can provide insight into what could be causing the delay and what steps you can take to get your case moving again. For cases that have been waiting for a long time, USCIS may be able to provide you with an expedited review.  

Call Your Congressman 

Another option is to contact your local congressman or senator. They can intervene on your behalf and help move the case along more quickly. It is in your elected officials’ best interest to help you, as you are potential voters and their constituents. So bring your paperwork with you when you talk to them, and let them know how long your case has been pending with USCIS. They often have direct lines of communication that they can use to email or speak with the appropriate government agencies to get your case reviewed. 

In most cases, a congressional inquiry signals high-level interest in the case and allows the applicant to confirm that no further action is needed from them. This can help expedite the processing of your case. 

Seek Help From the CIS Ombudsman Office 

In rare cases, an immigrant’s case may still be stuck after following the above steps. In this instance, you can contact the CIS Ombudsman Office. The Ombudsman is an independent office within the Department of Homeland Security, and they can help to resolve delays in immigration cases. They liaise with USCIS to push for the resolution of long-pending cases and can provide guidance on the best way to handle any obstacles that may be preventing your case from being approved. 

Take Legal Action 

If you have exhausted all of the above steps and your immigration case is still stuck, consider seeking legal advice from an experienced immigration attorney. An attorney can provide you with detailed advice on the best way to move your case forward and may be able to identify any issues that could be delaying your application. 

If all else fails, you may need to take legal action by filing a lawsuit. This should always be your last resort, as it is a very lengthy and expensive process. However, if all other attempts to get your case moving have failed, filing a lawsuit may be the only way to review and resolve your case. 

Final Thoughts 

Are you stuck in an immigration case? Don’t panic; consider the above steps to get your case moving again. Contact USCIS, call your congressman, seek help from the CIS Ombudsman Office to get a resolution to the long-pending case, and if necessary, take legal action. With a bit of effort and help, you can get your case moving again. Good luck! 

      Leave a Reply

      Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *